Inquiry Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think?

+6
Boricua
Phoenix
Rombat
firey
angelam420
Admin
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think? Empty Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think?

Post  Admin Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:21 pm

Do you agree with Socrates when he says that at death one either enters a peaceful sleep, or one goes into an afterlife to reunite with other people who have passed away? Is there another option?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://inquiryspace.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think? Empty Re: Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think?

Post  angelam420 Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:21 pm

Do you agree with Socrates when he says that at death one either enters a peaceful sleep, or one goes into an afterlife to reunite with other people who have passed away? Is there another option?

Very interesting, but I would say!!!
All those who are part of our lifes are the same people that were living with us before coming to here!!!!??
angelam420
angelam420

Back to top Go down

Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think? Empty Re: Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think?

Post  firey Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:31 pm

Im not sure about an afterlife, however, if there is I want to be a Ghost, like a smart one so I can mess with people.
firey
firey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:00 pm

firey wrote:Im not sure about an afterlife, however, if there is I want to be a Ghost, like a smart one so I can mess with people.

And wear form fitting attire?
Rombat
Rombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:04 pm

firey wrote:Im not sure about an afterlife, however, if there is I want to be a Ghost, like a smart one so I can mess with people.

I'm fairly certain the last thing on a ghost's mind is to be a cartoon character straight out of Saturday Morning ABC. Razz
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Phoenix wrote:

I'm fairly certain the last thing on a ghost's mind is to be a cartoon character straight out of Saturday Morning ABC. Razz

I don't know. If you were like that in life you might be like that in death Wink
Rombat
Rombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Rombat wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I don't know. If you were like that in life you might be like that in death Wink

I AM like that in real life, however, dying is a rather serious situation to deal with.

Haha, I remember telling Robert about how I would react if I had found out I died. I would treat the situation like it was a minor inconvenience.

"Damn it, I was just about to graduate college! *SIGH!*"

Laughing
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:18 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Rombat wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I AM like that in real life, however, dying is a rather serious situation to deal with.

Haha, I remember telling Robert about how I would react if I had found out I died. I would treat the situation like it was a minor inconvenience.

"Damn it, I was just about to graduate college! *SIGH!*"

Laughing

Well depending on how you died it would be a bigger thing. Like, if you got decapitated sure, but if you went to sleep, woke up dead, and went on with your day it might not sink in right away, so you'd be more braced for it.
Rombat
Rombat

Back to top Go down

Post  firey Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Rombat wrote:Well depending on how you died it would be a bigger thing. Like, if you got decapitated sure, but if you went to sleep, woke up dead, and went on with your day it might not sink in right away, so you'd be more braced for it.

Woke up dead, nice :p

Yea, I guess it really depends how you died, life I was stung by a stingray or something yea I'd be all up in the ghost business.
firey
firey

Back to top Go down

Post  Boricua Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:33 pm

There is an afterlife. It goes either two ways, you go to heaven or hell. It all the depends on what you did while you were alive that determines where you go.
Boricua
Boricua

Back to top Go down

Post  angelam420 Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:56 pm

heaven or hell
our heaven or hell is in here. Not after life!!!
angelam420
angelam420

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:17 am

firey wrote:
Rombat wrote:Well depending on how you died it would be a bigger thing. Like, if you got decapitated sure, but if you went to sleep, woke up dead, and went on with your day it might not sink in right away, so you'd be more braced for it.

Woke up dead, nice :p

Yea, I guess it really depends how you died, life I was stung by a stingray or something yea I'd be all up in the ghost business.

Hehe, happy someone noticed.

Also Boricua, how do you know there is an afterlife? Have you been talking to dead people lately? That's awesome, you should hook me up with my dead grandpa, so I can see what he's like without the whole alsheimer thing messing him up.
Rombat
Rombat

Back to top Go down

Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think? Empty after life

Post  ramsams Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:51 pm

Sure there is an afterlife. If there were none, then we all would like happily everafter and do anything we please in this life. Then, there would be no reason for living but to like. There is eternity in the after life.

ramsams

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:05 pm

ramsams wrote:Sure there is an afterlife. If there were none, then we all would like happily everafter and do anything we please in this life. Then, there would be no reason for living but to like. There is eternity in the after life.

Do you have any reasoning for believing this?
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Boricua Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:58 pm

[quote="Rombat"][quote="firey"]
Rombat wrote:
Also Boricua, how do you know there is an afterlife? Have you been talking to dead people lately? That's awesome, you should hook me up with my dead grandpa, so I can see what he's like without the whole alsheimer thing messing him up.

Of course I have not spoken to someone in the after life lol. But that still doesn't change the fact that there is a after life. It all comes down wether if you belief in God or not, and by the looks of it you do not. So how can I explain to you something that in the end you will not believe? It is already placed in your mind set what you believe and what you do not... But don't worry, you'll probably see your grandpa sooner than later...
Boricua
Boricua

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Boricua wrote:But that still doesn't change the fact that there is a after life. It all comes down wether if you belief in God or not, and by the looks of it you do not. So how can I explain to you something that in the end you will not believe? It is already placed in your mind set what you believe and what you do not.

So you have no proof of an afterlife besides just saying it exists? Linking it to a "god" sort of takes the pressure off of any need for justification.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

https://www.youtube.com/user/electricboa

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Eclipse wrote:
Boricua wrote:But that still doesn't change the fact that there is a after life. It all comes down wether if you belief in God or not, and by the looks of it you do not. So how can I explain to you something that in the end you will not believe? It is already placed in your mind set what you believe and what you do not.

So you have no proof of an afterlife besides just saying it exists? Linking it to a "god" sort of takes the pressure off of any need for justification.

This was my point with my last post. I'm actually ridiculously open minded and would very well believe there was an afterlife IF there was proof. As it stands, I don't KNOW if there is an afterlife, just as you don't KNOW there is one. I'd just like to THINK there is because it's comforting to me as a human to think there is something beyond this life. You BELIEVE there is one because you have faith in your religion.

I'm really just advocating proper word usage. If you changed it to "I believe there is an afterlife and that you go to heaven or hell depending on your actions etc. etc." I'd probably not have said a word.
Rombat
Rombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Rombat wrote:
Eclipse wrote:

This was my point with my last post. I'm actually ridiculously open minded and would very well believe there was an afterlife IF there was proof. As it stands, I don't KNOW if there is an afterlife, just as you don't KNOW there is one. I'd just like to THINK there is because it's comforting to me as a human to think there is something beyond this life. You BELIEVE there is one because you have faith in your religion.

I'm really just advocating proper word usage. If you changed it to "I believe there is an afterlife and that you go to heaven or hell depending on your actions etc. etc." I'd probably not have said a word.

Does it matter if there is or is not an afterlife? Would you behave any differently?
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:34 pm

Would I? Probably not, as I'm a very much "in the moment" type of person. Would some people? Almost certainly yes.

Would I still like to know if there is or isn't an afterlife? Yes, but mostly because I'd like to know if I get to enjoy myself for more than the pitifully small amount of time we have on Earth.
Rombat
Rombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Rombat wrote:Would I? Probably not, as I'm a very much "in the moment" type of person. Would some people? Almost certainly yes.

Would I still like to know if there is or isn't an afterlife? Yes, but mostly because I'd like to know if I get to enjoy myself for more than the pitifully small amount of time we have on Earth.

Ah, but then we get into what type of afterlife, if there is one. There are, after all, different versions and views on it.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Eclipse wrote:
Rombat wrote:Would I? Probably not, as I'm a very much "in the moment" type of person. Would some people? Almost certainly yes.

Ah, but then we get into what type of afterlife, if there is one. There are, after all, different versions and views on it.

This does definitely matter. If it's a hell/heaven style I would change nothing, and let the all powerful types decide. However if there is a Valhalla I'd sign up for the Marines asap and die the brilliant death of a hero. Valkyrie chicks = for the win after all.
Rombat
Rombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Boricua Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:30 am

Eclipse wrote:

Is not that by linking it to God that I'm taking the pressure of proving that there is an afterlife. Is just that if you were to read the bible, which is the infallible word of God, you would realize that not only is there an afterlife, but also that there is a God that created everything. That on its own it's evidence enough of the afterlife and of God's existance.
Boricua
Boricua

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:55 am

Boricua wrote:
Eclipse wrote:

Is not that by linking it to God that I'm taking the pressure of proving that there is an afterlife. Is just that if you were to read the bible, which is the infallible word of God, you would realize that not only is there an afterlife, but also that there is a God that created everything. That on its own it's evidence enough of the afterlife and of God's existance.

The bible is the "infallible word of God?" You do know that it was written by a human, right? For their own purposes. You don't actually believe in Noah's Ark, do you? I sort have a feeling that "Kool-Aid Drinker" should be included here somewhere . . .

But back to the afterlife, since you still offer no proof why "god" exists, you've also sunk any arguement for an afterlife as you've tethered the two together.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:13 pm

But clearly the entire world was flooded and only 2 of each animal was taken and able to repopulate the earth without mass genetic defects that normally would be linked to such massive inbreeding that would be necessary due to the limited mating pool to draw from.

I mean REALLY? How could you not believe that? That's almost like you're using reason and logic along with an open mind, clearly something a philosophy forum can't have.

Meaning between the lines of DRIPPING sarcasm: Please try to have an open mind people. It makes for much more interesting conversations than "Oh hey this is right.". Even if we want to go off assumptions (we can't prove either way God exists, so either way it's an assumption) bring some proof to the table. And just saying something within the questionable content is it's proof is not a good way to prove something. i.e. The bible is infallible thus a Christian God must exist. That's like using a word to define itself, it doesn't work.
Rombat
Rombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Boricua Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:37 pm

Eclipse wrote:
Boricua wrote:
Eclipse wrote:

The bible is the "infallible word of God?" You do know that it was written by a human, right? For their own purposes. You don't actually believe in Noah's Ark, do you? I sort have a feeling that "Kool-Aid Drinker" should be included here somewhere . . .

But back to the afterlife, since you still offer no proof why "god" exists, you've also sunk any arguement for an afterlife as you've tethered the two together.

Ya the bible was written by humans, but its not like they began to write out of nowhere. The bible was inspired by God, meaning, God told the authors what to write in the bible.
I don't blindly believe what I beleive, there are reasons why I believe it. And proof that God exists is all around you, you're just to close-minded to see it, and when you do see it, you don't accept it as true.
Boricua
Boricua

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum