Inquiry Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think?

+6
Boricua
Phoenix
Rombat
firey
angelam420
Admin
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think? - Page 2 Empty Re: Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think?

Post  Eclipse Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Boricua wrote:Ya the bible was written by humans, but its not like they began to write out of nowhere. The bible was inspired by God, meaning, God told the authors what to write in the bible.
I don't blindly believe what I beleive, there are reasons why I believe it. And proof that God exists is all around you, you're just to close-minded to see it, and when you do see it, you don't accept it as true.

You're projecting your own unwillingness to see reality for what it is. You've given no real reasons for your belief. What you see "all around you" and in nature is evidence of evolution, not "god." You keep saying evidence of "god" is all around, and all you are doing is furthering the argument for the existence of evolution, a scientifically proven concept.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

https://www.youtube.com/user/electricboa

Back to top Go down

Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think? - Page 2 Empty Re: Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think?

Post  Boricua Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Eclipse wrote:
Boricua wrote:Ya the bible was written by humans, but its not like they began to write out of nowhere. The bible was inspired by God, meaning, God told the authors what to write in the bible.
I don't blindly believe what I beleive, there are reasons why I believe it. And proof that God exists is all around you, you're just to close-minded to see it, and when you do see it, you don't accept it as true.

You're projecting your own unwillingness to see reality for what it is. You've given no real reasons for your belief. What you see "all around you" and in nature is evidence of evolution, not "god." You keep saying evidence of "god" is all around, and all you are doing is furthering the argument for the existence of evolution, a scientifically proven concept.

I am not unwilling to see reality for what it is, I am seeing reality for what it is. The evidence of God IS around you and me, it is your own close-mindedness that makes you fail to see it. It can go either both ways for you and me if you really look at it that way.
Boricua
Boricua

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:11 pm

Boricua wrote:I am not unwilling to see reality for what it is, I am seeing reality for what it is. The evidence of God IS around you and me, it is your own close-mindedness that makes you fail to see it. It can go either both ways for you and me if you really look at it that way.

Rolling Eyes

When you come up with tangible proof of God's existence, and not using a couple of adjectives for the aesthetics of nature, then your judgments about the openness of others' minds will be credible. Until then, I beg of you to look up the popular definition of "closed mindedness."
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Boricua wrote:I am not unwilling to see reality for what it is, I am seeing reality for what it is. The evidence of God IS around you and me, it is your own close-mindedness that makes you fail to see it. It can go either both ways for you and me if you really look at it that way.

I suggest you look up Psychological projection, you're a classic example:

Psychological Projection

Wikipedia is wonder, isn't it?
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

Back to top Go down

Post  ILoveInquiry Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:07 pm

Let's keep in mind that there are several ways of understanding God. Isn't it possible to have an understanding of God - or a god - that is not incompatible with evolution? Isn't it even possible that for some people, the wonders of evolution would be evidence of (or inseparable from) the wonders of God? This all depends on what you mean when you say "God," whether you believe or do not believe.
ILoveInquiry
ILoveInquiry

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:42 pm

ILoveInquiry wrote:Let's keep in mind that there are several ways of understanding God. Isn't it possible to have an understanding of God - or a god - that is not incompatible with evolution? Isn't it even possible that for some people, the wonders of evolution would be evidence of (or inseparable from) the wonders of God? This all depends on what you mean when you say "God," whether you believe or do not believe.

That is true, and I would not be using the same argument on someone else, as each circumstance is unique. I give you all the definition of "god" from Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Main Entry: 1god
Pronunciation: \ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German got god
Date: before 12th century
1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3 : a person or thing of supreme value
4 : a powerful ruler

If someone wants to define "god" in any other terms, they should say so at some point. Thus far, the only type of "god" under discussion is the Judeo-Christian version. Generally, we of the “Western” countries tend to think of “god in either of the first two definitions, so the third and fourth rarely need be brought up in discussion.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

Back to top Go down

Post  ILoveInquiry Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:16 pm

What I'm thinking - is that some people look at the world and they see God. Other people look at the same world and see something else (for example the wonders of evolution). I think that both are viable options. It is possible that people can use the notion of God or evolution as a final answer and as a way to stop asking questions and stop wondering about their world and their experiences. This, I think, is unfortunate. However, it is also possible that people can use the notion of God or evolution as ways to add value to an ever-increasing awareness and appreciation of the world and their experiences. The point, I think, is to continue toward valuable experience and to make use of the perspectives that help you the most with that mission and to challenge the ones that allow you to stop questioning. Personally, I like that there are multiple perspectives - and I don't think it is impossible to hold more than one of them simultaneously...
ILoveInquiry
ILoveInquiry

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:02 pm

ILoveInquiry wrote:What I'm thinking - is that some people look at the world and they see God. Other people look at the same world and see something else (for example the wonders of evolution). I think that both are viable options. It is possible that people can use the notion of God or evolution as a final answer and as a way to stop asking questions and stop wondering about their world and their experiences. This, I think, is unfortunate. However, it is also possible that people can use the notion of God or evolution as ways to add value to an ever-increasing awareness and appreciation of the world and their experiences. The point, I think, is to continue toward valuable experience and to make use of the perspectives that help you the most with that mission and to challenge the ones that allow you to stop questioning. Personally, I like that there are multiple perspectives - and I don't think it is impossible to hold more than one of them simultaneously...

There is a fundamental difference between intelligent design and evolution. Evolution is an ongoing process that we don't know the beginning or end. It challenges us as a race to continue research to understand it. Just because I often use evolution as an argument against religion, it's more an argument against intelligent design. Intelligent design is the one designed to kill discussions "as a final answer and as a way to stop asking questions and stop wondering about their world and their experiences" because is simply states that "god" made everything exactly as it is, no evolution involved.

That being said, it is very possible to hold multiple viewpoints on the same reality. There are some who think that "god" and evolution can coexist. With the proper understanding and explanations, they can. You could say "god" uses evolution to continue what he/she/it started or that "god" is using evolution to perfect his/her/its creations. That wouldn't mean I'd stop challenging theories about "gods," however.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

Back to top Go down

Socrates says death brings either nothing or an afterlife - what do you think? - Page 2 Empty Death brings Death!

Post  georgemgonzalez Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:33 pm

Unless of course your a worm, then it brings dinner!

Make every day of your life count because what comes when it ends is uncertain at best.

georgemgonzalez

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum