Inquiry Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are some of the disadvantages of religion?

+2
Eclipse
Admin
6 posters

Go down

What are some of the disadvantages of religion? Empty What are some of the disadvantages of religion?

Post  Admin Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:13 pm

There are several examples of disadvantages of religion. What are some of them?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://inquiryspace.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

What are some of the disadvantages of religion? Empty Re: What are some of the disadvantages of religion?

Post  Eclipse Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:59 am

Religion begets fanaticism, which tends to turn out badly for anyone who doesn't follow them. The clash of religious ideologies has spawned some of the most horrific tragedies in our world’s history. The Crusades are a perfect example of the dangers of religion. They were fought mainly against Muslims, but anyone who disagreed with them was also slaughtered. We aren’t safe even in contemporary society. We have certain Muslim extremists who are waging their own “holy war” against anyone who disagrees with them.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

https://www.youtube.com/user/electricboa

Back to top Go down

What are some of the disadvantages of religion? Empty Re: What are some of the disadvantages of religion?

Post  Xolo Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:15 am

Admin wrote:There are several examples of disadvantages of religion. What are some of them?

Keep one trapped from gaining new knowledge.
Xolo
Xolo

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:51 am

I think if we sat here and funded a group effort to list the disadvantages of religion, we'd either A) get old and die, or B) kill the forum with too much data.

Exaggerations aside, religion isn't too far from hate despite the guise of "love" it tends to throw around. The Westboro Baptist Church are the real Christians if you ask me.
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  ?anwser Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:24 am

People who take there views way to seriously and want to kill for there views.

?anwser

Back to top Go down

Post  firey Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:10 pm

?anwser wrote:People who take there views way to seriously and want to kill for there views.

Not sure the appropriateness of this, but it was a picture I saw with the captions:

Science flies you to the moon.
Religion flies you into buildings.

One of the key problems with religion for me, shows clearly how brainwashing can affect society. Based, on the definition of brainwashing ("Brainwashing (also known as thought reform or re-education) consists of any effort aimed at instilling certain attitudes and beliefs in a person — beliefs sometimes unwelcome or in conflict with the person's prior beliefs and knowledge. ...")[wikipedia]. Now, many of you may say it's not brain washing!. But lets look at it this way, when you are born do you believe in god? Do you come out being like "Yo mom-dizzle, we gots church!". No, in some case people are forced into believing in god. Statements such as "If you believe in god, you go to heaven, if not you burn in hell."

Living in Canada, hell seems pretty damn awesome let me tell you. But the fact remains, those who follow a religion are forced into believing what their "God" wants them to believe, they can choose not to believe, but then at that point they do not have that religion.
firey
firey

Back to top Go down

Post  Xolo Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:30 am

firey wrote:
?anwser wrote:People who take there views way to seriously and want to kill for there views.

Not sure the appropriateness of this, but it was a picture I saw with the captions:

One of the key problems with religion for me, shows clearly how brainwashing can affect society. Based, on the definition of brainwashing ("Brainwashing (also known as thought reform or re-education) consists of any effort aimed at instilling certain attitudes and beliefs in a person — beliefs sometimes unwelcome or in conflict with the person's prior beliefs and knowledge. ...")[wikipedia]. Now, many of you may say it's not brain washing!. But lets look at it this way, when you are born do you believe in god? Do you come out being like "Yo mom-dizzle, we gots church!". No, in some case people are forced into believing in god. Statements such as "If you believe in god, you go to heaven, if not you burn in hell."

Living in Canada, hell seems pretty damn awesome let me tell you. But the fact remains, those who follow a religion are forced into believing what their "God" wants them to believe, they can choose not to believe, but then at that point they do not have that religion.

when you are born do you believe in god? Do you come out being like "Yo mom-dizzle, we gots church!"
^^ In our philosophy class this term is known as "Blank Slate," where you are born with no thoughts/knowledge in you and are acquired through experience. -John Locke

and yes, I agree about being born with no "lets go to church mom" type of things.
Xolo
Xolo

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:39 pm

firey wrote:

What about those what choose to turn to religion after they are an adult? What motivates them into such a decision, and would they be considered brainwashed like children?
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

https://www.youtube.com/user/electricboa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down