Why do people spend so much time talking about 2012?

Go down

Why do people spend so much time talking about 2012?

Post  Admin on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Is it fear of the unknown? Is it a hope that some fact will disprove the predictions?
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://inquiryspace.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do people spend so much time talking about 2012?

Post  Eclipse on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 pm

I’m apparently not very knowledgeable about this particular conspiracy theory, what exactly is supposed to happen in 2012?
Eclipse
Intro 8am

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/electricboa

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:40 pm

Basically, the Mayan calender ends on December 24, 2012. Many scholars have come up with theories saying that the Mayans predicted the end of the world to fall on this date.

Personally, I think it was just an imperfect calender. There is no evidence to suggest anything apart from it being an imperfect calender.
Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamov on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:55 pm

The Mayans, while they did create a very accurate calendar, still had rather mystical practices. I wouldn't take the 2012 thing seriously without some scientific backing.
Gamov

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:45 pm

Oh, I had thought I missed the memo about the end of the world. I was blaming the fax machine.
Eclipse
Intro 8am

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/electricboa

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat on Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:37 pm

I thought it was that the Mayan calendar "reset" and the end of the current phase was Dec. 24th 2012. After that it would just start over. Not so much the end of the world but the end of the calendar. All the other theories just use 2012 because it's convenient.
Rombat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kmak on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:09 am

I honestly don't believe in the 2012 theory. I think it's just a theory by the Mayans but will not happen just like the 666 theory.
Kmak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xolo on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:13 am

Admin wrote:Why do people spend so much time talking about 2012?

Very simple..
Because they are uninformed.

and all the posts above mine I can tell they have not read much on the subject.
Xolo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:54 am

Kmak wrote:I honestly don't believe in the 2012 theory. I think it's just a theory by the Mayans but will not happen just like the 666 theory.

It's not a theory by the Mayans. The Mayans never predicted anything.

Xolo wrote:and all the posts above mine I can tell they have not read much on the subject.

Care to educate us?
Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  khenone on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:37 am

I do not think that the world is going to end in 2012. In my opinion, the people who believe that such thing is going to happen are just supersticious.

khenone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ?anwser on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:26 am

I dont believe its its like the y2k garbage people make up dumb stuff to scare us. and if it is then owell we all go together and what does it matter

?anwser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:15 pm

?anwser wrote:I dont believe its its like the y2k garbage people make up dumb stuff to scare us. and if it is then owell we all go together and what does it matter

Y2K was actually a potentially serious bug, as we didn't know if programs that worked with dates would work correctly. It was no where near as bad as the media made it out to be, but it could have caused some annoying hiccups. It didn't, and it's good it didn't, but we didn't know beforehand if it would be a major problem or not.
Rombat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:45 pm

Rombat wrote:
?anwser wrote:I dont believe its its like the y2k garbage people make up dumb stuff to scare us. and if it is then owell we all go together and what does it matter

Y2K was actually a potentially serious bug, as we didn't know if programs that worked with dates would work correctly. It was no where near as bad as the media made it out to be, but it could have caused some annoying hiccups. It didn't, and it's good it didn't, but we didn't know beforehand if it would be a major problem or not.

It actually was going to make a serious impact. If I remember correctly, IBM and Microsoft worked together to solve the issue and reset the clocks without any problems. I don't think Apple computers had this problem unless they were based off an old 5100 code (which is set to implode in 2040 or something like that, but nothing is going to be written with ancient IBM coding anyway, so it won't be an issue).

But yes, I think a service pack in 1999 was sent out and solved the problem.

If it didn't, we'd have been without networks of technology for a while, or at least until Microsoft managed to send out a physical copy of the service pack.
Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Rombat wrote:

It actually was going to make a serious impact. If I remember correctly, IBM and Microsoft worked together to solve the issue and reset the clocks without any problems. I don't think Apple computers had this problem unless they were based off an old 5100 code (which is set to implode in 2040 or something like that, but nothing is going to be written with ancient IBM coding anyway, so it won't be an issue).

If it didn't, we'd have been without networks of technology for a while, or at least until Microsoft managed to send out a physical copy of the service pack.

Actually that's not been proven to be the reason. Certain countries took great strides to fix the potential problems, but others didn't, and they only had a small blip of problems that were easily fixed (from what I remember).

It was a potential that didn't necessarily happen or not happen. If it was going to be a problem it was curved by the fixes, if it wasn't, it didn't matter because other network fixes and ways to control this so it could never be a problem again were implemented.
Rombat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:01 pm

Rombat wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
Rombat wrote:

Actually that's not been proven to be the reason. Certain countries took great strides to fix the potential problems, but others didn't, and they only had a small blip of problems that were easily fixed (from what I remember).

It was a potential that didn't necessarily happen or not happen. If it was going to be a problem it was curved by the fixes, if it wasn't, it didn't matter because other network fixes and ways to control this so it could never be a problem again were implemented.

I mean the major stuff was fixed. All the monitors on Times Square, which is connected to Wall Street (which WOULD have crashed the economy if the whole place got Blue Screen'd). Minor things like local ISPs around the country were able to be fixed with a minor inconvenience, but others needed to be fixed well before the clock hit 12:00:00.
Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:09 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Rombat wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
Rombat wrote:

I mean the major stuff was fixed. All the monitors on Times Square, which is connected to Wall Street (which WOULD have crashed the economy if the whole place got Blue Screen'd). Minor things like local ISPs around the country were able to be fixed with a minor inconvenience, but others needed to be fixed well before the clock hit 12:00:00.

Hmm, I'm not really sure what the countries noted for few changes did. I know Italy was one of them, and I know it didn't have many problems, but if it did "small" things like update major places that were important to government/economy they would be in the safe under what you're saying.

Regardless, this isn't a Y2K discussion, this is a discussion about the much less real threat of 2012.
Rombat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down