Inquiry Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you really, truly happy right now? What would you have to do to become truty happy?

+5
firey
Secret
ethics_student
Eclipse
ILoveInquiry
9 posters

Go down

Are you really, truly happy right now? What would you have to do to become truty happy? Empty Are you really, truly happy right now? What would you have to do to become truty happy?

Post  ILoveInquiry Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 am

Many philosophers suggest that happiness is a main goal (if not THE main goal) of human life. Are you striving to realize happiness in your life? Are you currently happy? What would have to happen for you to be truly happy? What could you do to become more happy?
ILoveInquiry
ILoveInquiry

Back to top Go down

Are you really, truly happy right now? What would you have to do to become truty happy? Empty Re: Are you really, truly happy right now? What would you have to do to become truty happy?

Post  Eclipse Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:46 am

To an extent, I agree that happiness is a ideal goal rather than an actual achievable goal. To be happy, we would have to be satisfied. I cannot imagine someone being truly content. People always want more; greed is a powerful instinct that is a driving force in the world.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

https://www.youtube.com/user/electricboa

Back to top Go down

Are you really, truly happy right now? What would you have to do to become truty happy? Empty Greed and desire

Post  ILoveInquiry Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:32 am

I wonder how greed is related to desire. In Buddhism, there is an understanding that desire is the cause of human suffering. The objective, then, is to remove improper desire and eliminate the suffering. Is it possible to eliminate improper desire? What would that be like? Is it something like developing a capacity for disinterestedness - that is - being able to enjoy something without warping that basic enjoyment with an overly-selfish drive (like being able to enjoy a paining of a piece of fruit without actually getting hungry for the fruit)? AND - would I be able to find greater happiness in enjoying the painting of the fruit than I would in fulfilling a personal desire to eat the fruit presented in it?
ILoveInquiry
ILoveInquiry

Back to top Go down

Are you really, truly happy right now? What would you have to do to become truty happy? Empty Happiness

Post  ethics_student Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:51 am

Happiness is soley dependent on the indiviual person. Different personalities require different variables to keep happy. For some being around lagre groups of people is a better (happier) situation then being around smaller groups of people. It is hard to justify happiness and when you think you are happy you take the time to ask your self are you really happy? Happiness is a mental perception based on what you know and what you think happiness really is.

ethics_student

Back to top Go down

Are you really, truly happy right now? What would you have to do to become truty happy? Empty Re: Are you really, truly happy right now? What would you have to do to become truty happy?

Post  Secret Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:25 pm

I think in a sense, everyone is generally happy. Its the world and its issues that threaten this happiness. If one was to live life without any of the worlds problems, then offcourse everyone would be happy, but thats not the way life is. I think everyone chooses whether or not to be happy. Its not inborn or something you pick up, its something you must acquire and learn on your own.

Secret

Back to top Go down

Post  firey Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:30 pm

Im neither Happy, nor upset. To be happy for me, requires something out of the ordinary (in a positive, life changing) to occur. People who say they are Happy, may not necessarily be "Happy" however, they are content with what they have, and are currently not in a state of depression, or having unhappy thoughts.
firey
firey

Back to top Go down

Post  angelam420 Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:46 pm

If I am happy???
Yes I am very happy. If I have more from life, it'll be extra happiness What a Face
angelam420
angelam420

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:25 pm

angelam420 wrote:If I am happy???
Yes I am very happy. If I have more from life, it'll be extra happiness

If you are happy, then what is your interpretation of "happiness?" You also meantion "extra happiness," so are you saying that there is some feeling greater than happiness?
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Eclipse wrote:
angelam420 wrote:If I am happy???
Yes I am very happy. If I have more from life, it'll be extra happiness

If you are happy, then what is your interpretation of "happiness?" You also meantion "extra happiness," so are you saying that there is some feeling greater than happiness?

I think they just have a sliding scale. You know, they might be happy, but at the low end of happy, just above "meh" so that could increase to something a bit happier.
Rombat
Rombat

Back to top Go down

Post  angelam420 Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:12 pm

The interpretation of happiness….my own life. No complain about what is going with my things…. Even the world is going crazy!!!
Extra Happiness means more days without problems…. Bad moments!!!
angelam420
angelam420

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:43 pm

angelam420 wrote:The interpretation of happiness….my own life. No complain about what is going with my things…. Even the world is going crazy!!!
Extra Happiness means more days without problems…. Bad moments!!!

So happiness for you is the absence of discomfort, rather than a feeling of contentment?
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

Back to top Go down

Post  Boricua Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Am I completely happy? No. I am happy in certain areas of my life, but not in others. Once I change the other once will I be completely happy.
Boricua
Boricua

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:48 pm

Boricua wrote:Am I completely happy? No. I am happy in certain areas of my life, but not in others. Once I change the other once will I be completely happy.

Is it possible to be completely happy? Or is happiness an ideal goal and we each achieve different degrees of it?
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

Back to top Go down

Post  ILoveInquiry Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:52 pm

In response to the question above - I think it is an ideal goal. I don't know what 'complete' happiness would look like. But I do know what fulfillment feels like, and the more often I feel fulfillment, the more I'd be likely to say I'm approaching the ideal of happiness. Holding it as an ideal also helps me get a sense for when I'm not feeling fulfilled so I can work on fixing it.
On a separate note - it is interesting to consider the relationship between a feeling of happiness and certain actions. For instance, I feel happier, generally, after a good workout. And I've heard that humans can actually give themselves a greater sense of well-being by smiling. That is - you can make yourself happy simply by smiling... Give it a try someday when you're blue. Laughing
ILoveInquiry
ILoveInquiry

Back to top Go down

Are you really, truly happy right now? What would you have to do to become truty happy? Empty ... Just a thought

Post  Miss_SAH Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:50 am

I think happiness in whole is a subjective stand, at any given moment something that brought you the greatest joy and pleasure could become the opposite. With that in mind, because we can not truly define the definition of what makes us or others happy, people often times make a great mistake through linking shallow desires to happiness. Me personally, no I’m not happy. I believe if happiness is anything at all it would have to be in correlation to long-term pleasures that bring you closer to achieving what you have decided is your purpose in life. At 21 I’m nowhere near close enough to that "end" in which I have referred to above. That’s not to say I’m miserable in any way, I just have a lot more to accomplish before I can claim bliss.

Miss_SAH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum