Inquiry Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When is it ok to lie?

5 posters

Go down

When is it ok to lie? Empty When is it ok to lie?

Post  Admin Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:22 pm

Are "white lies" acceptable? Is it okay to lie in order to avoid hurting your friend's feelings? If so, why?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://inquiryspace.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

When is it ok to lie? Empty Re: When is it ok to lie?

Post  Eclipse Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:30 am

I would have to say that any interpretation would have to be done by the individual. Everyone lies, and they aren't always so-called "white lies." Lying serves a purpose, usually to make life easier for us. When we lie to avoid hurting another's feelings, doesn't that in turn avoid any unpleasantness we would feel by telling them the truth and they become angry or sad?
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

https://www.youtube.com/user/electricboa

Back to top Go down

Post  firey Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:05 pm

It really depends on the situation and who it is you are telling such a lie to. If the lie could lead to something larger (un-kept promises, false views, etc) then it could be an issue. Whereas if it is a lie to make someone feel good about themselves ("How do you like my hair?" [lie: "It looks good!"] [truth: "That looks horribad, cut it all off"]), or to simply calm down the situation and appease the person in which you are telling the lie to.
firey
firey

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:12 pm

firey wrote:It really depends on the situation and who it is you are telling such a lie to. If the lie could lead to something larger (un-kept promises, false views, etc) then it could be an issue. Whereas if it is a lie to make someone feel good about themselves ("How do you like my hair?" [lie: "It looks good!"] [truth: "That looks horribad, cut it all off"]), or to simply calm down the situation and appease the person in which you are telling the lie to.

In that case, aren't you saying that the person you're lying to can't handle the truth, that you know what best for them, when they don't?
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

Back to top Go down

Post  firey Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:19 pm

Eclipse wrote:
In that case, aren't you saying that the person you're lying to can't handle the truth, that you know what best for them, when they don't?

Technically, yes that is what I am saying (to an extent). I'm saying at times, we have to lie to appease people. And sometimes, no people cannot handle the truth, not that I know what is best for them, however in certain situations people want to hear something other than the truth, even if they know it is a lie.
firey
firey

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:21 pm

firey wrote:
Eclipse wrote:

Technically, yes that is what I am saying (to an extent). I'm saying at times, we have to lie to appease people. And sometimes, no people cannot handle the truth, not that I know what is best for them, however in certain situations people want to hear something other than the truth, even if they know it is a lie.

Isn't that rather arrogant and quite immoral on your part?
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  firey Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:27 pm

Phoenix wrote:Isn't that rather arrogant and quite immoral on your part?

Hey, I never said that I lied. I was simply stating my reasoning behind when to lie and when not to.
firey
firey

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:34 pm

firey wrote:

Hey, I never said that I lied. I was simply stating my reasoning behind when to lie and when not to.

Keep in mind this whole scenario is hypothetical. I mean hypothetically, isn't lying to someone because you feel they're not able to handle the truth morally wrong and arrogant on your part?
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  firey Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:35 pm

Phoenix wrote:
firey wrote:

Keep in mind this whole scenario is hypothetical. I mean hypothetically, isn't lying to someone because you feel they're not able to handle the truth morally wrong and arrogant on your part?

In part yes, but wouldn't you feel better inside making someone happy? Than causing them to be upset or hurt?
firey
firey

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:37 pm

firey wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
firey wrote:

In part yes, but wouldn't you feel better inside making someone happy? Than causing them to be upset or hurt?

No. Knowing the truth is far better than temporary, fake happiness.

(Fake in this sense meaning happy for false reasoning)
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  firey Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:40 pm

Phoenix wrote:

I like your reasoning young jedi. And now that it is brought out like that, then yes hiding behind false hope/happiness is not good. Unfortunately as karma has it, telling lies can come back to bite yeh in the arse.
firey
firey

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:04 pm

firey wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I like your reasoning young jedi. And now that it is brought out like that, then yes hiding behind false hope/happiness is not good. Unfortunately as karma has it, telling lies can come back to bite yeh in the arse.

Then what about those who can seem to lie all the time and never face consequences? The Jedi argument might be strong, but I'm more of a Sith.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

Back to top Go down

Post  vaskvask Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Admin wrote:Are "white lies" acceptable? Is it okay to lie in order to avoid hurting your friend's feelings? If so, why?

White lie are acceptable, actually i wish people would stop being so honest to me and be more considerate to my feelings and give me a few white lies here and there.

vaskvask

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum