Inquiry Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do we need emotions?

4 posters

Go down

Why do we need emotions? Empty Why do we need emotions?

Post  ILoveInquiry Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:13 am

Some initial thoughts:
  • Life would be meaningless without emotions.
    Much of the harm in the world seems to come from emotions. If people were rational only, and could function without emotion, wouldn't the world be a better place?
    What, then, would be the point of living?
    The point would then be to survive.
    What about happiness? Is happiness an emotion? Would life be worth living without the chance of realizing happiness?
ILoveInquiry
ILoveInquiry

Back to top Go down

Why do we need emotions? Empty Life would be meaningless without emotions

Post  zanka Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:37 am

I believe that yes bounce life would be meaningless without emotions. I feel like emotions are what keep us going sometimes. The love we are brought up with by our parents lead in a good path for success. There are families where love isn't there, and children may feel neglected or may not even go in path of success. When I say success, I mean like doing well in school, have the right crowd of friends, going college, being obedient to their parents and providing respect. There are other emotions, such as those we feel when in a relationship with a significant other. There are times of anger, where we fall down and times of happiness where we're picked up. The down times are times where for some people it makes them stronger to be able to go through it again and not have the same effect on them. I think that the happiness really brighten our lives, and keeps us going. Overall, I think emotions are needed, and without them, we'd be robots. We wouldn't feel anything, everything, including our lives would just be so bland.
zanka
zanka

Back to top Go down

Why do we need emotions? Empty Re: Why do we need emotions?

Post  Eclipse Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:49 pm

zanka wrote:Overall, I think emotions are needed, and without them, we'd be robots. We wouldn't feel anything, everything, including our lives would just be so bland.

What's wrong with robots? We are such a violent race with emotions.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

https://www.youtube.com/user/electricboa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sadii Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:15 am

emotions are already a part of us right when we are born frm my opinion. in my opinion i think emotions are a part of our feelings taht help us follow what our hearts desire. emotions are another form of system in our inner self. you can see them when something happens and you can feel it as well. needing emotions also helps us going in our lives, they help us understand some meanings and they do confuse us, but we some how get through it with answers.
Sadii
Sadii

Back to top Go down

Post  zanka Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:48 am

Eclipse wrote:
zanka wrote:Overall, I think emotions are needed, and without them, we'd be robots. We wouldn't feel anything, everything, including our lives would just be so bland.

What's wrong with robots? We are such a violent race with emotions.

i think without emotions, there's nothing left of us. Socrates says that a unexamined life is not worth living, if we have no emotions, we have really have nothing, and so what do we have to examine? robots just do what their told, they have no free will, no emotions, nothing. I just wouldn't be able to consider myself having a life if I were a robot.
zanka
zanka

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:45 pm

zanka wrote:i think without emotions, there's nothing left of us. Socrates says that a unexamined life is not worth living, if we have no emotions, we have really have nothing, and so what do we have to examine? robots just do what their told, they have no free will, no emotions, nothing. I just wouldn't be able to consider myself having a life if I were a robot.

Well, I would say that we don't have free will as humans, but that's in another area of the forum.

As for emotions, they're easy to manipulate and tend to take control over our body from our rational mind. Emotions are so fleeting and never really stay around. Why get angry? Why love? Why fear? They tend to be a waste of time. Some emotions have a purpose. Fear tells us what we should avoid, but there are others ways to achieve the same goals, and that's the point. We are always trying to achieve a goal and emotions keep us from that goal.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

https://www.youtube.com/user/electricboa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down