Inquiry Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For those of you who like Carl Sagan and music.

3 posters

Go down

For those of you who like Carl Sagan and music. Empty For those of you who like Carl Sagan and music.

Post  Phoenix Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

For those of you who like Carl Sagan and music. Empty Carl Sagan Day

Post  Admin Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:24 am

I haven't watched the video clip in this line yet, but I just received this email - about Carl Sagan Day! (my how the stars align)
Carl Sagan Day:

A Celebration of Astronomy

WHEN: Saturday , November 7, 2009

noon - 10:00 pm

WHERE: Broward College Central Campus

3501 SW Davie Rd., Davie 33314

SPONSORED BY: Broward College, the James Randi Educational Foundation,

The Center for Inquiry Fort Lauderdale, and FLASH

WHAT: A full day program, including teacher workshops, children’s activities, showings of the COSMOS series episodes, food, magic shows, displays, planetarium programs, telescope workshops, games, door prizes, star-gazing, and many surprises. Scheduled keynote speakers include James Randi, Dr. Phil Plait (the bad astronomer), and via satellite, David Morrison (Senior Scientist at NASA’s Astrobiology Institute and former student of Sagan’s). Many of the speakers as well as science faculty from local colleges and universities will also be available for small group discussions.

The event is free to all*. Final details, including the schedule of events and speakers, will be available at the event website, www.CarlSaganDay.com . A fund-raising pre-event dinner and reception will take place on Friday evening, November 6 on Broward College’s South Campus in Pembroke Pines.

WHY: Carl Sagan was a Professor of Astronomy and Space Science and Director of the Laboratory for Planetary Studies at Cornell University. He served as an advisor and consultant to NASA, and played a major role in the establishment of SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence). He was a Pulitzer Prize winning author and most familiar to the public through his COSMOS series on NOVA. In addition to numerous awards, recognitions and honorary degrees for his outstanding contributions, he is acknowledged as one of the most effective public faces of astronomy and space science throughout the world. Asteroid 2709 was named after him. Sagan died in December 1996.

To celebrate his legacy on the 75th anniversary of his birth, and to increase public involvement in the excitement of astronomy and space exploration, a local coalition of science and reason-based organizations announces the FIRST ANNUAL CARL SAGAN DAY. It is particularly fitting that we celebrate this great scientist in 2009, the International Year of Astronomy.

We hope not only to make Carl Sagan Day an annual event, but to have other groups celebrate this day each year. November 9 ,2009 has officially been designated as CARL SAGAN DAY in Fort Lauderdale
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://inquiryspace.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

For those of you who like Carl Sagan and music. Empty Re: For those of you who like Carl Sagan and music.

Post  Gamov Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:59 am

Admin wrote:I haven't watched the video clip in this line yet, but I just received this email - about Carl Sagan Day! (my how the stars align)

Haha I don't know if you've seen Cosmos or not but I think Mr. Sagan would be pissed to hear you say that. :P
Gamov
Gamov

Back to top Go down

For those of you who like Carl Sagan and music. Empty Re: For those of you who like Carl Sagan and music.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum