Inquiry Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do people want or need religion?

4 posters

Go down

Why do people want or need religion? Empty Why do people want or need religion?

Post  Admin Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:15 pm

Throughout human history, people have always had some form of religion. And there are several types of religions throughout the world. Why do people want or need religion? Is it part of being human?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://inquiryspace.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Why do people want or need religion? Empty Re: Why do people want or need religion?

Post  Rombat Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:22 pm

Admin wrote:Throughout human history, people have always had some form of religion. And there are several types of religions throughout the world. Why do people want or need religion? Is it part of being human?

It makes people feel safe. They can't understand things, so instead of it being some unknown phenomenon it's "because of *insert all powerful being or beings*" A good example is the ancient Greeks and Romans. Lots of their myths are surely partially true, they didn't understand it all though, so they assigned beings to events, and gained "understanding" of the events and thus were no longer as scared by it.
Rombat
Rombat

Back to top Go down

Why do people want or need religion? Empty Re: Why do people want or need religion?

Post  Gamov Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:30 pm

I can attribute my current religious belief to fear of the unknown. My greatest curiosity is what happened before the Big Bang, and what happens when time/the universe comes to an end. The best thing to do is guess, but that doesn't really satisfy me. I can't grasp the concept of time or space being finite in all directions. Not that Infinity is any easier to understand, but infinity does not bring up the question of "what lies beyond the limits" which I also dread. So my current "Hypothesis for God" is that he is the Prime Cause that kicked off the big bang and the universe, is a force existing outside the limits, is encompassing the finite scope of the cosmos and time, and is indivisible and absolute. Then again he can very well not exist. But I think speculating what is possible is better than knowing nothing.
Gamov
Gamov

Back to top Go down

Post  Eclipse Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Admin wrote:Throughout human history, people have always had some form of religion. And there are several types of religions throughout the world. Why do people want or need religion? Is it part of being human?

I would say Freud had it right; people turn to religion because they are afraid of such a cold and hostile world. It's more out of ignorance and a desire for protection than any real entity.
Eclipse
Eclipse
Intro 8am

https://www.youtube.com/user/electricboa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down