Inquiry Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article Debunking 2012

3 posters

Go down

Article Debunking 2012 Empty Article Debunking 2012

Post  aceofspades Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:51 pm

I saw this article while thumbing through my favorite tech news website slashdot.org.

http://science.slashdot.org/story/09/10/26/1517242/2012-a-Miscalculation-Actual-Calendar-Ends-2220?from=rss

Very Interesting article.

The linked article is dutch but you can pretty much understand it with google translate.

aceofspades

Back to top Go down

Article Debunking 2012 Empty Re: Article Debunking 2012

Post  Phoenix Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:53 pm

aceofspades wrote:I saw this article while thumbing through my favorite tech news website slashdot.org.

http://science.slashdot.org/story/09/10/26/1517242/2012-a-Miscalculation-Actual-Calendar-Ends-2220?from=rss

The linked article is dutch but you can pretty much understand it with google translate.

I didn't think there was anything to debunk in the first place. It was all just theory. Laughing
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  aceofspades Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:59 pm

Phoenix wrote:
aceofspades wrote:I saw this article while thumbing through my favorite tech news website slashdot.org.

I didn't think there was anything to debunk in the first place. It was all just theory. Laughing

Isn't that what the whole 2012 thing is anyways Razz

aceofspades

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:01 pm

aceofspades wrote:Isn't that what the whole 2012 thing is anyways Razz

Haha, of course, but in my experience of tinfoil-hatting, theories usually have some factual backing to them. The Mayan Calender simply didn't, and the idea of it being such a huge issue to this day is beyond me.
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  aceofspades Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Phoenix wrote:
aceofspades wrote:Isn't that what the whole 2012 thing is anyways Razz

Haha, of course, but in my experience of tinfoil-hatting, theories usually have some factual backing to them. The Mayan Calender simply didn't, and the idea of it being such a huge issue to this day is beyond me.

I just think its more than a coincidence that the "end of the world" comes around the time we are able to communicate effiently and actually make these kind of rumors viral. I'm sure a lot of people had theories that the world would end on the year 1000 but it was kind of hard to make that hold water when you would have to tell everyone by foot and they would just think you were a babling lunatic

aceofspades

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:49 pm

aceofspades wrote:I just think its more than a coincidence that the "end of the world" comes around the time we are able to communicate effiently and actually make these kind of rumors viral. I'm sure a lot of people had theories that the world would end on the year 1000 but it was kind of hard to make that hold water when you would have to tell everyone by foot and they would just think you were a babling lunatic

The Mayans had no idea how the world was going to be in 2012. They couldn't even begin to think about TRYING to understand how the world was going to work in 2012.

That being said, I don't think there's a coincidence at all, because I simply don't think it's going to happen, and if it does, it wouldn't be the same event "predicted" (using that word loosely) by the Mayans. It'll be some form of self-destruction via. nuclear bombs or man-made diseases.
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Rombat Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:52 pm

Phoenix wrote:
aceofspades wrote:I just think its more than a coincidence that the "end of the world" comes around the time we are able to communicate effiently and actually make these kind of rumors viral. I'm sure a lot of people had theories that the world would end on the year 1000 but it was kind of hard to make that hold water when you would have to tell everyone by foot and they would just think you were a babling lunatic

The Mayans had no idea how the world was going to be in 2012. They couldn't even begin to think about TRYING to understand how the world was going to work in 2012.

That being said, I don't think there's a coincidence at all, because I simply don't think it's going to happen, and if it does, it wouldn't be the same event "predicted" (using that word loosely) by the Mayans. It'll be some form of self-destruction via. nuclear bombs or man-made diseases.

Or it'll be hundreds of years down the line when we can all escape to other galaxies with space ships!

GO HUMANITY!
Rombat
Rombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down